Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hooray for Mrs. Mimi!

So, this week I am STOKED. Mrs. Mimi has agreed to Skype with us. Her book is what made me want to be a teacher in the first place, so this Skype session is going to be so exciting! In class, we learned how to make a presentation through Google docs. It was very interesting all the things you could do with the program. I have also become a Twitter addict this week, thank you Mr. C. It's kind of funny really. I was trying to think what my life was like before I had a MySpace, a Facebook, a Twitter, or a blog. And the answer is BORING. I have had Facebook for years, and I honestly don't know what I actually did on my computer before I had it. I also may have possibly had a career change. I am now considering -gasp- teaching high school. Now typically, this is not my style. I am not into smartasses and slackers that defy me, and when I think of a 15 to 18 year old kid, that's the exact idea I get about most of them. Judgemental, yes. But come on, we all went to school with them. The kid that has all the potential in the world but refuses to do his work. The kid that's just going to school until they are old enough to drop out. The snobby clique that everyone fears. This is high school people, and frankly I had enough of it when I contributed my 4 years at MCHS. However, I have a huge passion for science, particularly the anatomy of the human body. I have not totally made my mind up yet, but talking about passions really made me think...I want to teach what I love, and I love science. So maybe, just maybe, I can reach out to the smartasses and slackers and teach them a thing or two. Who knows? Maybe even change lives and encourage students that may not be considering furthering their education to make something of their life. And that, I think, is my philosophy. Reaching out to children when no one else believes in them. Everyone needs a fan and supporter, and I want to be that person, rather as a kindergarten teacher or a high school teacher. As a teacher I want to change lives, and that is my goal. My philosophy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Last weeks conversation opened up the flood gates. :)I think if every teacher made a connection with just a couple students a year, the whole school would benefit, especially if those students are "those students".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passion for your subject matter is certainly a strong starting point for a secondary teacher, but you should be concerned about those 'personalities' you want to reach as well. They are a real part of each and every school day. They can wear you done and burn you out. Or you can come up with some creative ways to 'deal' with these kinds of students.

    Being a secondary teacher also means that you have to give the same performance several times a day and try to give all kids the benefit of the same education in each of those classes. Don't let me come off as if it is all gloom and doom. It is rewarding work, especially when you ear back from former students down the road. This reinforcement will come, but it will only come with time.

    Whatever, your decision, whether elementary or secondary, you are in for one heck of a good ride. Embrace it, enjoy it, and teach with every fiber of your being.

    ReplyDelete